Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Midweek update

Hi! I haven't been there for a while, I had a lot of work in my private life last month. I have been on holidays too and more than a month passed since my last entry.


A copule of important things happen. Firstly, I have upgraded my workstation PC with Radeon R9 270X OC and now I can use Blender and Unity more comfortable (rendering in blender is no longer a slideshow). I have also changed my PC casing to hold (and cool) new graphics card properly.

With the new graphics, I was able to play a copule of new games. O have tested GTA V (at least!), No Man's Sky and some other games, I will write about them soon.

In my free time I was working on new improvements to The Tanks. The most important thing - enemies have been categorized by "era" they are made. For now, there is Medieval, Steam, World War 2, Modern and Future eras. Now I can implement more enemies called Heavy Tank without naming them HeavyTank01, HeavyTank02 etc. and what is more important - create better themed enemy waves. I have also added three heavy tanks (Steam, WW2 and modern) - however I still work at their models. (@edit: there is actually more than those three new tanks - screenshots soon!)

The most exciting new feature is an ability to rotate the player turret. Well it changed entire gameplay a lot! This new possibility created a way to use a whole bunch of new tactics, heavy guns are now much better balanced (they give a punch and you can slowly rotate them to face an enemy) and created better feeling of actually driving a tank. Of course turret rotation is locked in Versus game mode to make challenge a little more difficult.

I have also created a possibility to create a fixed gun with limited rotation angle and I have an idea to use this new feature soon.

I have cleaned up player abilities part of the game. Now both coop players can use abilities such as shield or increased firing rate. You can read more about it on new wiki page (well, you will be able to read soon)! 

I am also cleaning up the code, rewriting some of the code parts to be more smart (putting references form Start() to Awake() to ensure everything load up properly, merging smaller scripts to bigger ones). It gave me for example an option to create new bullet type (that is not implemented as new weapon type yet, but will be soon) that can pierce through an enemy and fly further (with a little changed trajectory) to hit another enemy.

I have also spend some time on balancing and optimisation. I changed the light mechanics - now every environment type have its own light color for day and night.

ps. Because I have a lot to do in my private life and I spend almost all of my free time on updatng the game, writing that post took me almost five days! :D


No comments: